Fishermen’s Blog Log
2015 Season

model of the F/V Kruzof

Model of Kruzof built by Randy Holmberg

Previous Blog Logs:




October - December

Boat yard work in Seward by Vigor, the new shipyard owners in Seward. Plus we had the fish holds re-coated by Raibow Industrial, and interior painting done by Mike Ritz of Alaska Marine Coatings, Seward’s new professional Industrial painter.

Another year done--  Many thanks to our crew, vendors and customers for their good works, service and patronage. 


The Kruzof, now done with all the SE Alaska fishing, on its way back to Seward worked in Central Gulf in effort to catch the last of its halibut and sablefish.  After one harbor day in Icy Bay and 2 fishing days, we cleaned up the remaining halibut quota.  Blackcod fishing however was a different story.  With few vessels on the fishing grounds, the whales zoned in on us. Adding to our frustration, storm season was settling in giving us windows of only two to three days of fishing.  Then the freezer system started acting up.  So after about the 4th time getting stormed in we decided to call it a season.


This month was another double header, full of celebrity appearances from our quota holders from trip to trip.  Bill Menish joined us in Clarence Strait where the fish are typically smaller, but they were plentiful! 


We departed for 3A halibut on July 7th  with quota holders Larry Billman, Rhonda, and an observer. This made for a very full boat which displaced a crew member due to limited life raft seats. Besides halibut, we landed a variety of products which made the trip more interesting.

After the halibut trip, we quickly re-tooled for black cod and provisioned with bait and groceries to head to Southeast Alaska for the next 2 months.  Starting with the Southeast federal fishery we had a dismal beginning which forced us into a brief break to get reoriented.  It proved helpful. We finished out the trip in 3 days and landed it on Jim’s 60th Birthday!


3B halibut got underway, but we first stopped by Chignik to help out a few local fishermen, Glen Burkhart and Dean Anderson, process their subsistence salmon. Given our freezing capabilities we loaded the freezers.and kept the quality pristine. The Halibut trip in 3B went smoothly landing it in Seward by late June. We then cleaned up the boat and took time off until after July 4th - Our one guaranteed break for the summer!


The Captain's son, Scott, never thinking he would find a soul mate, did the seemingly impossible, and got married!  The new member of the family and formidable fish wife, Shannalyn West Hubbard, did not get to enjoy a full honeymoon.  She had a business trip and there was fish to catch, so after the “half moon” the groom flew back to Alaska and the Kruzof headed out for its first black cod trip of the season in West Yakutat.  Due to whales and weather the trip took longer than expected but finally got it done and headed back to Seward.


Rhonda traveled to Europe to attend the Brussels Seafood show in Belgium for the first time where she connected with other fish colleagues and prospective buyers. It was a great trip.




By the end of February crewmembers gathered in Seward to get the boat ready for its first trip of the year. After a long winter break the crew is always excited to go back to work.

We headed out to Prince William Sound for Pacific Cod which was a fun way to start our fishing season.  Due to certain fish behavior, our work day was made short, giving us the closest thing to a 9-5 job a long liner could have!  Fishing was fruitful and consistent. Within a few weeks we completely stuffed the Kruzof holds with frozen H&G product.

January - February

We started the year with a trip to Hawaii, where we indulged ourselves in an interesting “Farm to Plate” tour.  It involved learning about and foraging for food for our lunch table up in the farm hills of Maui.  Then in February we visited some work related friends in southern California where we warmed up and dried out in the desert.