Fishermen’s Blog Log
2007 Season

model of the F/V Kruzof

Model of Kruzof built by Randy Holmberg

Previous Blog Logs:

Fishermen’s Blog Log
2007 Season

The Kruzof season is over for 2007.  Here is a run down of their year. Click on any of the pictures for a larger image.

March:  The season started off like the derby years as the Kruzof traditionally tries to be the first in at the dock in Seward when the  IFQ season begins.  This year it opened on March 1st.   Opening dock prices were stealth, temperature was 20 degrees with a chill factor of -10 degrees.  Icing conditions on the way up the bay was inevitable and the fish that was caught and delivered within 36 hours landed on the dock just the same—cold and icy.

 After a quick turn around, the boat was back out with Rhonda on board to catch her quota and more.  Prices dropped a bit but were still respectable.  When Rhonda is on board Jim is usually under pressure to catch the fish fast because she often puts the quota up for sale at a cheap price when she is lying in the bunk not feeling well.  Nevertheless at the end of trip, she humbly admits the pay is worth being seasick for a day or two. 

Landing Halibut in Seward, Alaska
April:  The Kruzof ventured to the West Yakutat area to do a freezer trip of sablefish. The fish were small and averaged about 4lbs dressed weight. Weather prolonged their trip over three weeks.  During the 10 days of being weather bound, the crew transformed into sports fishermen taking advantage of the world class steelhead fishing out of the Situck River.  Great fishing but being commercial fishermen the catch and release rules were hard to comprehend at first.  Finally after a April 12th check in date to the area, they landed 80,000 lbs of processed and frozen sablefish and rockfish by-catch to Seward on May 10th.  

May:   A few days off then the boat ventured down past the Alaska Peninsula to catch their 3B halibut and some sablefish.  They delivered in Sand Point then went to Kodiak to wait out weather to start another trip. 

The crew flew home to Seward and Rhonda flew into Kodiak to hang out with Jim for a few days.  It was a nice break visiting friends and other peers in the business.  Jim especially appreciated the working boat harbor of Kodiak.

Enjoying our friends in KodiakEnjoying our friends in Kodiak.

Larry & Janice Billman, from Minnesota. Larry likes riding the Kruzof to catch his halibut quota.

June:    The weather cleared, and the boat fished and caught their Central Gulf quota of Sablefish. 

The sperm whales were a problem, but after fussing with them, they finally  landed their trip in mid June. 

The next couple of weeks was a welcome break.  

July:   The boat fished halibut for three other gentlemen now in their 70’s. 

Max, Larry, and Dick, all enjoy riding on the comforts of the Kruzof to catch their quota and memorialize their own days at sea fishing halibut.    

Max Cutshall, quite tired after a tough halibut trip on the Kruzof.
Max Cutshall taking a rest after a productive halibut trip.

Crewmember with large sablefishThis is crewmember Mike Jones holding one of the big ones.

Scenery from the Kruzof

August & September:    This was the longest trip of the year as it is every year.  It usually lasts six weeks.  In total they put up 50 tons of frozen sablefish out of the two in state waters of Chatham and Clarence Straits and Southeast offshore. Leased quota and 3 other permit holders are included in that tonnage.  Rhonda met the boat in Angoon with her Chatham permit. 

While there the boat took a couple of evenings at Warms Springs Bay and also accepted an invite to dinner by owners of Whaler’s Cove Lodge.  It was admirable that two user groups of the resource could sit down together in respectable fashion without too much heated debate on who should own the fish. (In our opinion all users need to learn to co-exist and appreciate each other).

Two loads of product were brought to Petersburg and another to Sitka.  The spermies (whales) bugged us again off of Southeast, but fish averaged 60% 5 lb and up dressed weight.

Yes we do take time for some of the more important things in life... Even if you have to dress in your deck boots.



Jim officiating the wedding of Mike and Beth.September 23rd, 2006

Jim officiated the marriage ceremony of his crewmember Mike Jones to Beth Barnett on the deck of the Kruzof in Resurrection Bay.




The wedding party of close family, friends and crew.




Check out those deck boots!

September  to December:  Throughout the year Jim nursed a puking engine, and it was nearly on its death bed just as the boat was hitting Petersburg on its way south to the shipyard.   A new injector and changed head got it to the Fred Wahl Shipyard in Reedsport, Oregon on September 7th  for its final overhaul.  This will include a new Volvo engine, larger bulb on the bow, decking, and a full sandblast and paint job.  So much for Christmas and Birthday presents.

Rhonda, as member of the Halibut Coalition Steering Committee, will be attending the North Pacific Fisheries Management Council Meetings in October and December.  The Halibut Charter issue is the main focus.  The Commercial Industry Sector is just asking that the Guided Sport Industry stay within a designated guideline harvest level, and submit to some regulations as does the commercial sector.

Jim has insurance meetings and the Pacific Marine Expo to attend in November.  Both Jim and Rhonda will be doing some marketing work for their products as well. 

Work never ends it just changes, which keeps it all interesting.    

More Kruzof Updates
September 14th to Jan 14th:
The boat underwent a major retrofit from the size of engine to size of television in the galley. The new engine, a 600 hp Volvo, is paying for itself already in fuel efficiency and speed. Upgrades also included paint job, new decking, stove, and refer repairs. By now Rhonda is getting really really tired of being a boat widow.
Kruzof update
Return to top